Countryman’s Cooking – W.M.W.Fowler’s Cookery for Men

The forthright and wildly eccentric musings on food and its preparation written by an RAF bomber pilot who returned from prison camp after WW2 to his bleak homeland where rationing and a long tradition of terrible cuisine frustrated his yearning for a decent meal.

Leslie Phillips reads from WMW Fowler’s definitive cookery manual for men. First sold 40 years ago by Willie Fowler in his local pub and recently rediscovered in a charity shop, these joyfully wicked musings retain a surprising relevance today. Abridged by Neil Cargill.

BBC Radio 4

First clip: The introduction.
intro_countrymans_cooking
The common cormorant.
Second clip: How to cook a cormorant.
cormorant_recipe

4 Trackbacks

You can leave a trackback using this URL: http://www.articlesandtexticles.co.uk/2008/04/04/countrymans-cooking-wmwfowlers-cookery-for-men/trackback/

1. By How To Cook A Cormorant at Hooting Yard on 11 April, 2008 at 10:28 am

[...] at Mustard Plaster has alerted me to this BBC audio clip (read by Leslie Phillips!) telling me how to cook a cormorant. I feel considerably cheered up, and so will you. April 11th, 2008 Things I Have [...]

2. By How To Cook A Cormorant at Hooting Yard on 11 April, 2008 at 10:28 am

3. [...] How to Cook A Cormorant, read by Leslie Phillips. Categories Uncategorized LikeBe the first to like this [...]

4. By Malachi Ballinger on 18 November, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Malachi Ballinger…

Wow, great post.Really thank you! Awesome….

9 Comments

1. Miss Hathorn

Thank you Michael. I’ve just been ‘listening again’ to them. Great stuff.

Posted 4 April, 2008 at 11:39 am | Permalink
  2. michael

The voice of that old cad Leslie Phillips is a piece of perfect casting, in my view. What a culture we inhabit!

Posted 4 April, 2008 at 3:12 pm | Permalink
  3. Miss Hathorn

Hey Michael, did you save them all somewhere? I wanted my Michael to hear them and now they’re gone. AArgh!! If you did I’d like to find out how you do it.

Posted 5 April, 2008 at 11:28 am | Permalink
  4. michael

Don’t panic! The audio streams on the BBC page (bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/afternoon_reading.shtml) are replaced day by day so that next Monday’s broadcast will replace last Monday’s broadcast, and so on. This weekend (5th – 6th April) the buttons at the top of the page will still link to the Countryman’s Cooking episodes. Scroll down the page for the descriptions.

Posted 5 April, 2008 at 4:30 pm | Permalink
  5. We are a flock a group of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme
    in our community. Your website provided us with helpful helpful and work on .
    You made ​​an impressive activity and our all
    the group be thankful to you .
    Unquestionably imagine which you said . Your favorite
    reason appeared to be at the internet easy factor to understand of .
    I tell you , i certainly get annoyed at the same time while
    think issues just do not understand about . You controlled more
    than intelligently as out everything managed to hit the nail on the top no need side effect , people cAN could take a
    signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thank you

Posted 18 April, 2014 at 2:10 am | Permalink
  6. You really make call of duty ghosts prestige hack tool
    appear really easy with your presentation however
    I find this subject be really one thing that I I’d never
    understand. It seems too complicated and very large for me.
    I am having a look ahead to your next put up , I’ll try to attempt to get
    the hang of it!

Posted 23 April, 2014 at 6:07 am | Permalink
  7. We are a group of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community.

Your web site offered us with helpful helpful and
    work on . You a formidable process and our whole neighborhood will thankful to you
    Unquestionably imagine which you said . Your favorite reason appeared
    to be on the net easy thing to understand of
    . I tell you , i certainly get annoyed at the same time while think concerns clear that not recognize about .

You controlled more than intelligently as defined everything managed to hit the nail on the top without having side-effects ,
    people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more.
    Thanks

Posted 25 April, 2014 at 9:45 am | Permalink
  8. Just want to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity in your post is just cool and i could assume you are an expert on this subject.
    Fine with your permission allow me to grab your
    feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a million and please carry on the rewarding work.

Posted 20 June, 2014 at 11:47 am | Permalink
  9. We’re a flock a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
    Your website offered us with helpful helpful and paintings on .
    You a formidable task and our whole community will grateful to you .

Unquestionably believe that you said . Your favorite justification seemed to be on the net simple factor to have in mind of .
    I tell you , i certainly get annoyed others folks think worries just do not know about .
    You controlled and defined everything managed to hit the nail on the top without
    having side-effects , people cAN could take a signal.
    Will probably be back to get more. Thank you

Posted 21 July, 2014 at 5:13 pm | Permalink