Tatsuyuki Tanaka – Cannabis Works

thumbnail of Cannabis 01
(Click all these small images to enlarge them, please….)

Tatsuyuki Tanaka, the animator from 4c Studios whose first major job was key animator on Akira (1988), has a folio of work from his 2003 graphic novel / manga “Cannabis Works” on view at Digik Gallery.

thumbnail of Cannabis 02

Aside from enjoying the masterly draughtsmanship evident in all his work, I’m also a great admirer of the subdued colour schemes he employs. They give a sense of otherworldliness that suggests not just another place, but also another time for the events he draws so well.

thumbnail of Cannabis 03
This third panel is from a series called “Fifth Dimension” that Pink Tentacle has thoughtfully translated into English.

Truly, gorgeously, bizarre….

_________________________________________________________________

No Trackbacks

You can leave a trackback using this URL: http://www.articlesandtexticles.co.uk/2009/01/26/tatsuyuki-tanaka-cannabis-works/trackback/

10 Comments

1. Korova

His animations are also gorgeous, I have never seen any other animator with such skills, he masters all the aspects of human anatomy, perspective, design, color.

A young master we unfortunately don’t see much of his craft.

Hail Tanaka!

Posted 26 January, 2009 at 8:00 pm | Permalink
  2. michael

Hail indeed! He seems to be a very accomplished animation artist all round. I will keep an eye out for him in future….

Posted 28 January, 2009 at 12:05 am | Permalink
  3. Brilliant!His work amazing.Thanks Michael.

Posted 29 January, 2009 at 2:54 pm | Permalink
  4. Peter Whitehead

Oh, I’d absolutely wonderful stuff, Michael – the book Japanese Comickers (volume 2) has a nice piece on Tanaka’s process. Another outstanding associate of 4C.

Peter

Posted 31 January, 2009 at 1:32 am | Permalink
  5. michael

Thanks for your comment, Peter. It’s nice to know you drop by :) . I must look up that volume when I’m next in central London. I particularly like his avoidance of the “big eyes”.

Posted 1 February, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Permalink
  6. michael

Glad you like it, Andrei. It’s the first time I’ve seen his work. Very impressive stuff!
    Hey, did you see some of your work in the header pictures? Look at number 054….

Posted 1 February, 2009 at 6:50 pm | Permalink
  7. No!!!Thank you very much!
    I am Really glad that you like this picture!
    I am working in London at moment.
    Would you like to meet up for the lunch.I have only hour, but I’ll be really appreciate if you can.:o)

Posted 3 February, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Permalink
  8. michael

I would love to do lunch. I’m very busy for the next couple of weeks, though. How long are you in London?

Posted 6 February, 2009 at 12:45 am | Permalink
  9. I don’t know yet.I hope I’ll stay for more 3 weeks.

Posted 10 February, 2009 at 10:43 am | Permalink
  10. m.j

Wow.. It’s amazing…!
    I want to draw picture like you…

Posted 14 December, 2010 at 5:23 am | Permalink